(i) at the rate specified in the relevant provision of this Act; or
(ii) at the rate or rates in force; or
(iii) at the rate of twenty per cent:
89[Provided that where the tax is required to be deducted under section 194-O, the provisions of clause (iii) shall apply as if for the words "twenty per cent", the words "five per cent" had been substituted.]
(2) No declaration under sub-section (1) or sub-section (1A) or sub-section (1C) of section 197A shall be valid unless the person furnishes his Permanent Account Number in such declaration.
(3) In case any declaration becomes invalid under sub-section (2), the deductor shall deduct the tax at source in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1).
(4) No certificate under section 197 shall be granted unless the application made under that section contains the Permanent Account Number of the applicant.
(5) The deductee shall furnish his Permanent Account Number to the deductor and both shall indicate the same in all the correspondence, bills, vouchers and other documents which are sent to each other.
(6) Where the Permanent Account Number provided to the deductor is invalid or does not belong to the deductee, it shall be deemed that the deductee has not furnished his Permanent Account Number to the deductor and the provisions of sub-section (1) shall apply accordingly.
(7) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a non-resident, not being a company, or to a foreign company, in respect of—
(i) payment of interest on long-term bonds as referred to in section 194LC; and
(ii) any other payment subject to such conditions as may be prescribed.